To find the best koi fish breeds in South Africa you will need to look at their colors, patterns, and body confirmation. All types of koi fish have their own specific details for identification and can be described based on another classification of the Japanese koi type.
Today, there are an impressive 13 primary categories and over one hundred different subcategories of koi breeds. Because of their colorful patterns and a wide variety of variations, they have become both significant in Japanese culture and valuable to hobbyists and koi breeders.
Types of Koi Fish in South Africa
We stock a variety of koi breeds in South Africa, and we know that the koi-keeping hobby can be very difficult for newcomers with the amount of information available and the number of different types of koi to choose from.
Koi are a type of domesticated carp, and there are many different breeds that have been developed over the years. Some of the most common breeds include:
- Kohaku: These koi have a white body with red markings. They are one of the most popular breeds and are known for their beauty and elegance.
- Sanke: These koi have a white body with red and black markings. They are similar to Kohaku koi, but have added black markings which makes them more unique and beautiful.
- Showa: These koi have a black body with red and white markings. They are very striking and eye-catching, and are known for their dramatic contrast between the black and red/white colors.
- Ogon: These koi are solid in color, usually metallic gold, and are prized for their shimmering scales.
- Utsurimono: The Utsurimono category encompasses a variety of koi that have black coloration with other colors such as, red, white, yellow, blue. They are known for their bold and striking coloration
These are just a few examples of the many different breeds of koi that exist. There are many more types and variations, each with its own unique characteristics and beauty.